VSTO 3.0 for Office 2007 Programming by Vivek Thangaswamy
Publisher: P-Pu (March 16, 2009) | 260 pages | ISBN: 1847197523 | PDF | 10.6 MB
Get to grips with Programming Office 2007 using Visual Studio Tools for Office
* A step-by-step guide for brand-new Office developers who want to explore programming with VSTO
* Precise information on programming in Microsoft InfoPath, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Visio, and Project 2007 using VSTO
* Create your own fully featured Office extensions
* Packed with easy-to-follow examples covering all the Office applications
With the arrival of Visual Studio Tools for Office 3.0 (VSTO), developers can now program Microsoft Office from the .NET framework. There are huge books in the market that give loads of unnecessary information but are of no real help to brand-new Office developers. Wouldn't it be great to have a precise book that simply covers the basics and introduces programming Office 2007 with VSTO using the latest version of Visual Studio? This is that book.
VSTO 3.0 for Office 2007 Programming shows you how to write Office 2007 applications with Visual Studio Tools for Office 3.0. Learn how to automate tasks in InfoPath, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint, Visio, and Project 2007 with greater programming power and flexibility than was available from the VBA language. With this book and the mastery of VSTO you will learn, Office will no longer be an application to you; it will be a platform for developing custom applications.
VSTO 3 is the most recent version of VSTO, making use of Visual Studio 2008, and working with Office 2007. This book shows how VSTO puts Office automation into the hands of developers, allowing them to use the power of the .NET framework to automate Office applications thus increasing the speed of the applications, their security, and the opportunity to use other parts of the .NET Framework such as its data handling capabilities.
This book builds a solid programming foundation in VSTO for brand-new Office developers. You will leave behind the world of VBA programming and take your first steps into the powerful and exciting world of using C# to create Office 2007 applications. Packed with examples and covering all the main Office applications, this book will have you creating fully featured Office extensions before you know it.
What you will learn from this book?
* Enhance Office applications with the features of VSTO
* Learn Microsoft Office InfoPath programming in Visual Studio and discover its role in SharePoint Workflow
* Get confident with Microsoft Word Programming in Visual Studio 2008, working with task panes, menus, toolbars, and ribbons
* Build a Microsoft Excel solution in Visual Studio, process data with Microsoft SQL Server 2008, and work with host items in Excel and charts
* Customize Microsoft Outlook using VSTO, work with Ribbons for Outlook 2007, and understand SQL server database interaction
* Explore Programming in PowerPoint using VSTO 3.0 including creating presentations, adding slides, ribbons, and using Visual designer for ribbons
* Learn Programming in Visio and Project 2007 using VSTO 3.0
This book contains complete step-by-step instructions and simple explanations about VSTO programming of entire Office applications. It covers the concepts of VSTO, VSTO architecture, its features, and versions using practical examples, to help beginners and intermediate developers develop real-world Office applications. Separate chapters cover programming InfoPath, Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
Who this book is written for?
This book is aimed at .NET developers, familiar with C#, who want to get to grips with programming Office 2007. The book will also be useful for those of you who already have experience with VBA and programming Office, but are ready to take the next step into the more powerful world of Office programming with VSTO.
About the Author
Vivek Thangaswamy is a Software Solution developer and technical author living and working in the enjoyable surroundings of Chennai city, in India. His range of technical competence stretches across platforms and lines of business, but he specializes in Microsoft enterprise application architectures and Microsoft server-based product integrations. Vivek is currently working for the world's largest software services company in Microsoft Technologies. He holds several Microsoft certifications and Microsoft MVP awards. He has completed his Bachelor of technology degree in Information Technology from one of the world's finest universities and is currently pursuing a Management of Business Administration in Finance degree. Vivek loves spending time with friends and writing poems in his mother tongue.